"Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City"
"The Global Crisis of Displacement and Evictions: A Housing and Land Rights Response"
(click here to download full text)
"Radical Deprivation on Trial: The Impact of Judicial Activism on Socioeconomic Rights in the Global South"
"Home Sweet Home: Housing Practices and Tools that Support Durable Solutions for Urban IDPs"
- “Perverting Progress? The Challenges of Implementing both Fiscal and Social Responsibility in São Paulo (1995–2010)”, Urban Studies, 2012-06-06
- “The Tools of Whose Trade? How international accounting guidelines are failing governments in the global South”, Third World Quarterly, 2010-06-23
- “A Home in the City” with Pietro Gauro and Elliott D. Sclar, UN Millennium Project Task Force on Improving the lives of Slum Dwellers, 2005.
- International Law from Below: Development, Social Movements and Third World Resistance (Cambridge University Press, 2003) (2nd edition forthcoming)
- Right to Development and Global Governance: Old and New Challenges Twenty Five Years On, Human Rights Quarterly 35 (2013) 893-909.
- International Law and its Discontents: Rethinking the Global South, 106 American Society of International Law Proceedings 176 (March 2012)
- Counter-hegemonic International Law: Rethinking Human Rights and Development as a Third World Strategy, Third World Quarterly, Vol.27, No.5, pp.767-783 (2006)
- International law and Social Movements: Challenges of Theorizing Resistance, 41 Columbia Journal of Transnational Law 397 (2003)
- International Law and the Development Encounter: Violence and Resistance at the Margins, 93RD American Society of International Law Proceedings 16 (1999)
- Reparations: A Dialogue between Human Rights Academics and Activists” (an edited volume, published under the auspices of the MIT PHRJ, 2004).
- “Human Rights and Development: Legal and policy issues with special reference to Dams”, Commissioned Paper Submitted to the World Commission on Dams, (1999) available at http://www.dams.org/kbase/thematic/tr54.htm.
- ‘Out – Damned Spot!’ – Hydropower, Forced resettlement and blood on the hands, Lead article, January 2, 2002, The World Paper
- The Violence of Development, Opinion, August 8, 2001, The Washington Post, reprinted as “In Asia, Ethnic Cleansing in the Name of Progress”, August 10, 2001, International Herald Tribune
- The Supreme Court and Human Rights, Opinion, December 6, 2000, The Hindu
- “Confronting Urban Displacement: Social Movement Participation and Post-Eviction Resettlement Success in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania,” with Leonard Ortolano, Journal of Planning Education and Research 32, no.3: 278-288, 2012.
- “Lessons from Mobilization Around Slum Evictions in Tanzania,” Forced Migration Review, 2012.
- “Post-Disaster Resettlement: More than a Question of Shelter,” In Instigations: Engaging Architecture, Landscape and the City, M Mostafavi and Christensen, P, 342-344. Zurich: Lars Muller Publishers, 2012.
- “The Complexity of Participation: Learning from Slum Dweller Mobilization in Dar es Salaam,” The Global Urbanist. 2012.
- “Bulldozing Basic Rights,” Opinion, Feb 23, 2005, The Indian Express
- “Follow UN Norms for Evictions,” (with Shivani Chaudhry), Sep 1, 2008, Civil Society Magazine
- “Evictions now a national crisis,” Interview with Siddharth Narrain, May 10, 2006, The Hindu
- “Housing, Land and Sustainable Development,” (with Shivani Chaudhry), 2012, Social Watch Report
- “The Displacement Decathlon: Olympian Struggles for Affordable Housing from Atlanta to Rio de Janeiro,” with Annemarie Gray, Places, April 2013. http://places.designobserver.com/feature/displacement-decathlon-atlanta-rio-olympics/37816/
- “Purging the Poorest: Public Housing and the Design Politics of Twice-Cleared Communities,” (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2013). http://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/P/bo14941776.html
- “Housing Chicago: From Cabrini-Green to Parkside of Old Town,” Places, February 2012. http://places.designobserver.com/feature/housing-chicago-cabrini-green-to-parkside-of-old-town/32298/
- “Addressing the Land Claims of Indigenous People,” with Isabelle Anguelovski. Cambridge: MIT Human Rights Program, Center for International Studies (CIS). 2008.
- “Water Diplomacy: A Negotiated Approach to Managing Complex Water Networks,” with Shafiqul Islam (Resources for the Future). 2012.
- “The Consensus Building Handbook,“ with Sarah McKearnan and Jennifer Thomas-Larmer, Sage Publications, 1999.
- “Multiparty Negotiation,”
- Volume I: An Introduction to Theory and Practice
- Volume II: Theory and Practice of Public Disputes Resolution
- Volume III: Complex Legal Transactions
- Volume IV: Organizational and International Negotiation with Larry Crump, Sage Publishers, 2009.
OLIVIER DE SCHUTTER
- ‘Access to Land and the Right to Food’, Interim Report of the Special Rapporteur on the right to food, Olivier De Schutter, to the 65th session of the General Assembly, UN doc. A/65/281 (11 August 2010)
- “Sovereignty-plus in the Era of Interdependence: Towards an International Convention on Combating Human Rights Violations by Transnational Corporations,” in Making Transnational Law work in the Global Economy: Essays in Honour of Detlev Vagts, P. Bekker, R. Dolzer and M. Waibel (eds), Cambridge University Press, 2010, pp. 245-284
- “The host State: improving the monitoring of international investment agreements at the national level,” in O. De Schutter et al. (eds), Foreign Direct Investment and Human Development. The Law and Economics of International Investment Agreements, Routledge, London and New York, 2012, pp. 157-188
- “The Green Rush: The Race for Farmland and the Rights of Land Users,” Harvard International Law Journal, vol. 52(2) (2011), pp. 503-559, available at: http://www.harvardilj.org/2011/07/issue_52-2_de-schutter/
- “Large-scale Investments in Farmland: the Regulatory Challenge,” (with Peter Rosenblum), Yearbook of International Investment Law and Policy, chap. 14, pp. 563-610 (2011)
- “The Durable Slum: Dharavi and the Right to Stay Put in Globalizing Mumbai,” University of Minnesota Press (Globalization and Community Series), 2014.
- “Demolition and Dispossession: Toward an Understanding of State Violence in Millennial Mumbai,” Studies in Comparative International Development, Special Issue on Cities, Violence and Development in the Global South, 48(3): 285-307, 2013.
- “Slum Free Mumbai’ and other Entrepreneurial Strategies in the Making of Mumbai’s Global Downtown.” In M. Peterson and G. McDonogh (eds.) Global Downtowns. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, pp. 234-257, 2011.
- “Democracy in the Globalizing Indian City: Engagements of Political Society and the State in Globalizing Mumbai,” Politics & Society, 37(3): 397-427, 2009.
- “The Changing Right to the City: Urban Renewal and Housing Rights in Globalizing Shanghai and Mumbai,” with Xuefei Ren, City & Community, 8(4): 407-432, 2009.